Monday, July 1, 2013

One of Those Days

Today was one of those days. You know the days that you feel rotten from the moment you get up in the morning and nothing goes right and you end up crying in the bathroom in the middle of the day? (Or is that just me???) I felt like I was getting on to my kids all day long and they weren't learning anything from me. I had this thought that scared me a lot: maybe I'm not meant to do this. I think this thought pops up for most people from time to time (regardless of your career) and don't worry, I'm not quitting. But it's just scary to go through five years and two degrees and then dive into the middle of the career you chose and feel like you're drowning.

I'm going to get some sleep and some perspective and I know that tomorrow will be better. Today's bright spot came from my TLC (who is like a mentor throughout institute). It was corps member appreciation day and she had one of these made for each of us:
It's a 2 sided frame with one of my students on the left (with a blue face for privacy reasons!)
and our motto on the right. It says "I love Ms. Douberly when she teaches us hard math!"
This, along with a really sweet email from the parent of one of my fourth grader's that I printed out and a painting that the student mailed me at Institute really helped me refocus.
This email really touched me.
You have no idea how a small comment or gesture can impact someone!
I have an "inspiration box" at home that is chock-full of drawings, letters, emails, cards, messages from supervisors, etc. that are encouraging and loving. One of our professors encouraged us to make an inspiration box for days like this. She also guaranteed there would be days like this, so at least that's encouraging. I just wish I had that box now! These will hold me over for now =]

No comments:

Post a Comment