Monday, July 15, 2013

Being All Official and What-Not

So I think I knew on some level that accepting a teaching job meant that I was gainfully employed, but it wasn't really until TODAY that I FELT employed! We started new teacher training for the Achievement School District on Thursday (there are 75 of us from 5 schools) and got all pumped up about being a part of the movement to move the bottom 5% of schools to the top 25% in Tennessee.
(Courtesy of ASD's fb page)
Then, today I filled out all my paperwork with HR, got my badge, and was given my school laptop and email address! It was all so exciting (except maybe some of the paperwork).  It's actually starting to feel real, which is simultaneously exciting and terrifying....
I am SO pale in this picture!
I'm excited to have my own school laptop, so I won't have to carry mine back and forth. Rumors are floating around about classroom iPads so more on that later.... As far as technology goes, our school doesn't have a traditional website, so I'm considering making a class site using Wix. I'm just not sure if the families would be interested or not. Maybe a class blog so my fourth graders can broadcast their voices!
Sticker on the bottom- see, it's mine ;)
Perfect background
This past week has been really productive! Once training started on Thursday, I was pretty much done with Institute. We had our last day with the kids on Wednesday and got to go to the zoo. They had so much fun! It was hard seeing them go, but not as much for me, because I'll get to see a lot of them this fall =] I just can't believe Institute is already over! Not that I'm complaining ;)
Our favorite exhibit!
I started buying some furniture for my bedroom, set up our cable/internet plan, and started moving some things out of the dorm and into the apartment. Another perk of last week was getting to see a children's performing arts group called Watoto Memphis practice and they are INCREDIBLE! They focus mainly on dance, but also work with the students academically, having them research the music and time eras and write about it. Some of the schools have already partnered with them to do some after-school or even during-school arts programs and I am so on board!! It was such a boost to see these kids go all out dancing to African drums, Hairspray, and then Justin Timberlake. Such talent!
incredible
Well, 2 and half days till my momma gets here! Can't wait to see her and move everything into my apartment =]

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your days are exciting. These times will give you memories for your lifetime. I hope it will be a good and productive year. Good luck! I love you. Love, Mimi

    ReplyDelete