Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

It's Halloween! One of my absolute favorite holidays (it's basically glorified dress-up, which is a thespian's DREAM). Our school had a really neat Literacy Parade where everyone dressed up as a character from a book and we all had a lot of fun with it! Some ideas from the teachers:

  • Pinkalicious (and purplicious and silverlicious and goldilicious)
  • A Bad Case of the Stripes girl
  • The 7 dwarfs (sneezy, sleepy, grumpy, etc.)
  • The Giving Tree
  • Sleeping child from Polar Express
And, of course, Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter! 
Gotta love mirror shots, right??
I put together this costume two years ago when the 7th movie came out and I used it again today. Here's how I did it if you want your own Harry Potter themed costume without paying an arm and a leg:
  • Start with what you have! I already had the black skirt, black tights, and black shoes. Win!
  • I bought a simple red tie from Walmart and painted yellow stripes on it with whatever paint I had on hand. Look at the characters online and you can see their ties have two thick stripes, then one thin stripe.
Use the pattern on the tie to help you keep lines straight!
  • I bought a child's white button down from Walmart (school uniforms, baby!) for like $7 and ironed on the Gryffindor crest. Just get some special iron-on transfer paper, like the kind here, and follow the instructions after finding the image you want online!
  • The cloak was the most complicated part of this costume because I could NOT find one I liked in stores. I found a great tutorial on About.com. If you know how to use a sewing machine at all, you can make this! It was really easy and looks and feels really nice and expensive. I added the Gryffindor crest to this too by using iron-on transfer paper. Make sure you get the type for dark fabrics. I also bought two little buttons and sewed them on near the top so I can actually close the cloak with a ponytail holder! 
The cloak looks awesome when you walk quickly and it flutters behind you.
Magical.
  • Don't forget the wand! I painted a dowel rod black and added glitter. Lots of glitter. 
TADA!! Putting together costumes is so much more fun than buying one and I had a lot of fun with this one! Happy Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment